Saturday, October 02, 2021

Cliff Walk, Newport

Saturday, Oct. 2

Our hotel is about 20 miles north of Newport, but we drove back to hike a bit on the Cliff Walk. It's free and has a beautiful view.


Parked near the cliff walk. Cars like this are
everywhere in Newport!



Looking back at the cliff walk from where we got on.

Here's a map of the walk. It's about 3 1/2 miles long

There are various difficulties on the walk. About half of it is paved and an easy walk. But then you will hit a rugged part, which is rocks. Then it goes to gravel and then rocks again. But here is what you can see along the paved path.

This is The Breakers (which we toured yesterday) from the walk.

Morning glories?

Walking towards Rosecliff, which you really can't see from the walk.

A downhill on the walk.

A surfer coming back to the "beach."

A mermaid, uh, photographer.

This is part of Rosecliff.

The walk winds around that curve.

Pretty flora.

It was at this point that I decided (for us) to turn back. The path turned into flat rocks, which I probably could have navigated. But to get to the third rock, my short legs wouldn't get across the gap. I tried to take a small path to the third rock, but immediately loss my balance and had to catch myself before falling. I just turned back and Paul was fine with it. People kept saying the rocks were very flat, but the problem is I couldn't reach those rocks and I wasn't going to plunge to my death today!

The rock where the lady in the blue jeans is standing is
the one I couldn't reach.

So we turned around and went back towards The Breakers, only we went further. We watched the surfers for awhile (see video on Facebook) and then moved on past where we had gotten on.
This is the campus of Salve Regina University, which is next to The Breakers.

This is Ochre Point (which is the name of the street)

There's a resting spot just above those rocks.

This is the top of the wall (to keep people off it)

Cute little arch we had to pass through.

Historic 40 steps, recently restored.

Two hardy men climbing out of the water.

At this point, I sent Paul back to get the car and I waited at the corner for him. My toes were really hurting (ahem, my walking shoes were left behind when "someone" put the box aside while packing). But really, he can move faster without me. So I sat near the bus stop and watched the traffic go by. Some very neat cars!

We went back to the waterfront and found a parking spot after driving in a circle about 4 times. We walked back to the Brick Alley Pub. This time I had a burger and boy, was it good! 

This was on the stairway to the restrooms!

Here I am, toasting with a chocolate martini our wonderful trip to Newport.

Tomorrow we will visit Providence (probably have lunch) and then we are going to start our way back home. We're going to try to take I-84 to Scranton, PA and then catch I-81 to Roanoke for a visit with our sister-in-law, whom we saw in March. We should be home by Friday, if not before.

I may not blog for the rest of the trip as I don't anticipate sightseeing much and what I do see, I'll probably just post on FB.

Hope you've enjoyed our trip along with us!




















2 Comments:

Blogger Dee said...

I enjoyed sightseeing with you all. What a beautiful trip.

5:17 PM  
Blogger Shakespeare's sister said...

Thanks, Dee.

6:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home