Friday, September 24, 2021

Annapolis, MD to Rehobeth Beach, DE

I woke up this morning with an awful sore throat, probably from snoring all night. I was very congested and kept waking myself up.

We ate at the motel then headed east towards the Bay Bridge. which actually takes you over a wide river (Severn). Beware of a calvacade of police along the road just past the bridge! The eastern part of Maryland is very pastoral. There was a lot of farmland, growing tomatoes, squash, cucumbers, and corn. We passed a few dairy farms (and creameries) and tree farms, too. 

After a few more bridges, we crossed into Delaware. The same pastoral land greeted us for awhile. But eventually we got to the beaches. First we drove to the Lewes (Loo-is) Ferry (where we will catch a ferry tomorrow). 
You can barely see the lighthouse at the ferry port.

Then we went back up to US Highway 1 and headed to Rehobeth Beach. US 1 was jam packed with outlet malls, restaurants, motels and other such touristy places. AND CARS! Lots of cars. However, we did make it to Rehobeth Beach with just one U-turn. 

We were lucky and found a space near the boardwalk (and public restrooms). Paul got an ice cream and we walked along the boardwalk for a bit, then turned around and went the other way for a bit. A lot of places were closed. I was disappointed not to find corn dogs and cotton candy!

It was actually frozen custard.
The boardwalk. 

We walked back towards the area in which we parked and found The Robin Hood Restaurant, where we had lunch. The prices were actually reasonable. 

 



I went back to the car and retrieved my shorts, then changed at the restroom. We walked down to the beach and I braved the cold Atlantic water (cold but it didn't hurt like the Pacific does!)

 We decided to head to a motel back up on Highway 1, where I napped until almost 7:00 PM (that salt air!). Although we said we were going to try not to eat at chains on our trip, there was a Cracker Barrel next door, so that's where we had dinner. My sore throat was still bothering me (although to a lesser degree) so I had some nice, soft pancakes for dinner.

Thus ends our first day in Delaware. We are headed to Cape May tomorrow but will be driving back to Delaware after our visit to NJ.

If you do read this blog, please leave a comment (at least a thumbs up) so I know someone has looked at it. Check tomorrow's blog. Should be interesting.


I HOPE THESE VIDEOS SHOW UP!! If not, I'll load them on YouTube and then post the links.








0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home