Thursday, July 13, 2006

Top 10 "Natural" Sights Every American Should See

The top 10 “natural” sights every American should see:

1. Grand Canyon, Grand Canyon NP, AZ
How can anyone not want to see this Wonder of the World? From the rarely visited North Rim with its beautiful Grand Canyon Lodge, to the donkey trails of the South Rim, every scene is postcard pretty. Below you is the mighty Colorado River. If you dare, take a wild ride on the river, but make the reservations early! The top of the canyon is HOT in the summer and FREEZING in the winter. Dress accordingly. Since I visited, I understand that unless you have a reservation in one of the lodges, you cannot drive there anymore, but must take a special train.
2. Niagara Falls, Niagara Falls, NY & Ontario, CAN
What you need to do here is stand right next to the American Falls when you first get to the falls on the American side. Then you will feel the power of the falls. All I can say is AWESOME. Take the walk to the Cave of the Winds. Then cross the border and check out the Canadian side. More times than not, if the sun is shining, you will see rainbows stretching clear across the rims. There is a nightly color light show on Horseshoe Falls, the one most people are familiar with. And of course, catch a ride on Maid of the Mist! Ponchos provided!
3. Great Salt Lake, UT
I haven't seen this lake in decades, but I still remember the impact it made on me. I've flown over it several times and remain impressed at the size. If anyone has anything to add, please make a comment below.
4. Half Moon/ El Capitan, Yosemite NP, CA
Both of these landmarks in Yosemite show up regularly on postcards and information about Yosemite. The park itself is awesome, but these two "rocks" are the stars of the show. El Capitan is a favorite with rappellers-- you can see them bunking down for the night half way up! Half Moon is absolutely stunning at sunset when the alpenglow sets in. It looks like it is on fire.
5. Old Faithful, Yellowstone, WY
I only saw this once and luckily it was going off within 15 minutes because that's all the time my dad would allow us at our stop here! But what a show! Definitely worth the trip to see. And remember all those cartoons (think Ice Age) that allude to it. And there is is! The real thing! Wow!
6. Zion Canyon, Zion NP, Utah
I've been through it and to it. This is a place that makes you feel so humble in the greater scheme of things. The valley is deep and lined with huge monolithic rocks. Again, new rules have made it hard to drive through (unless you have a reservation) but you can catch a tram into the park.
7. Bryce Canyon, Bryce National Park, UT
One of my favorite quotes from a NP sign was what the discoverer of this place said, "It's a hell of a place to lose a cow." Twisting and turning hoo doos from red to snow white. If you hike, I'm told, bring a ball of twine and plenty of water! Gorgeous photo opportunities from every rim
8. Mesa Verde, Mesa Verde National Monument, CO
This spot really hit the imagination spot in me. How did those people figure out this way of life and how did they handle it? And why did they leave? Some answers are given at the park, but I like figuring it out on my own. And as a bonus, beautiful Canyon de Chelly (pronounced Shay) is nearby.
9. Crater Lake, OR
Trust me -- you have never seen water this blue! This unique natural wonder is worth the goose-pimply ride along the ledges of the Cascades. Again, photo opportunities at every stop. You might even see snow in the summertime. Much of the area is inaccessible in the winter, so you have a narrow window to see it. Drive the canyon rim drive and if you have time, hike down to the lake and take a boat ride around. See the Phantom Ship and the Old Man of the Lake (I'm not telling you -- you need to go there).
10. Delicate Arch, Arches National Park, UT
During the couple days we spent in Arches, Delicate Arch was inaccessible because of heavy rains earlier that week. If you were brave, you could hike out to it, but I was neither brave nor ambitious. I did see many of the other arches and they were absolutely awesome, but everyone said that Delicate was the most inspiring. So it's on my "to do" list.

I know, I know -- I left off someone's favorite. But like I said, these are based on my own travels! If you want to add more or make a comment on the ones I've published, click on the Comment link. I'd love to read them.



ALTHOUGH ONE OF THE LEAST ACCESSIBLE, CRATER LAKE IS THE ONE 'NATURAL SIGHT' I'VE SEEN THE MOST!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home